Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Update from one of our first students ever - Scott

Recently, an alumni of Alzar School, Scott, came through Boise and stayed with administrators Sean and Kristin Bierle. We asked him to describe what he'd been up to. Scott was on the "Chilean Expedition 2007" program, almost 4 years ago. This is what he had to say:

I went through the Alzar Chile program its first year, when I was a sophomore in high school, this was one of the best months of my life. The expedition lasted about a month, during the school year. Although I did miss school, in the month I completed all of the work that my classmates had to do sitting in a classroom. I even got ahead of my class in a couple of subjects, when the teachers fell behind a little. Instead of 6 hours in the class room I was able to finish the work in only 1-2 hours a day. The class work was not the most important thing about this trip. We went kayaking every day except one when we went into Argentina to climb a volcano.

Since the trip, I have started working as a safety kayaker and kayak instructor for a great company on a class 4-5 river in Washington. I work there for a lot of the summer, during the rest of the year I go to school at the University of Washington. My intended major at the UW is astronautics and aeronautics because I am very interested in planes and flying. Going to Chile also made me fall in love with South America, since then I have been to South America a lot. I lived in Ecuador for my senior year of high school. I hope that I will be able to go back to Chile and do some more kayaking in the near future, hopefully with Alzar.

We are super proud of our alumni and the things they accomplish. You can look forward to more content from their perspective in the coming months.

No comments: