Monday, July 5, 2010

Round 2 Student Entries

John
There are 2.5 more days left of this 3-week expedition and its crazy to think that I’ve been away from home this long. It’s one of those situations where it seems like its been forever but it also only feels like I’ve been gone for a week.

Idaho and California are beautiful states and it’s going to be hard adjusting to the puny Appalachian Mountains back in North Carolina.

I am psyched to take home the paddling skills I have learned out here and tear it up back east. It’s weird referring to my home as “out east” when its normally me referring to “out west.”

I am about to start the grand adventure called College, and I think the best thing I could have done to prepare for school is this program. I am definitely taking more home than just paddling skills.

I miss everyone at home though and I can’t wait to see everyone. It has also been about three weeks without Internet; I won’t know what to do with myself when I get home.



Gregory
July 4, 2010
Happy July 4th. On our adventures around the Wild West the scholars of Alzar School have never seen anything as amazing as the Great Western Mountains Orangutan. It is as mysterious as Big Foot. Few people have ever seen the monstrous creature. More people believe in Big Foot so far. It was a cool July day in Garden Valley, Idaho. The group of 10 was playing a friendly game of ultimate Frisbee at the local High School. It was a long throw to Kristin to score a point when out of nowhere it appeared. The great creature rose suddenly, jumping into the air. Screaming loudly it smacked the Frisbee out of the sky using its 5-foot long arms. The other 9 scholars looked on in amazement as the orangutan flew gracefully through the sky, landing smoothly. The beast was at least 8 feet tall and was wearing faded blue shorts, which ended above the knees. Its shirt was very dirty, but appeared to be white reading, “Big Foot is my Bro,” on the front. Once everyone had sized but the 7 ft. 300 lb, pure muscle animal he turned and said calmly to the scholars, “mind if I play?” The scholars accepted nervously. The game went on and the orangutan was an ultimate Frisbee beast. Sorta. And from that day on everyone believed in the Great Western Mountains Orangutan and everyone named him Gregory Wallingford.



Patrick
Sup everyone. Just coming to the end of F.L.O.W. even though I’m sad its coming to an end, I had a fantastic time. The upper Cal Salmon Run had to be the sweetest run we have done, besides the canyon of the SF Payette. I’m doing very well except I hurt my shoulder today but anticipate being back to paddling soon. I’ll see everyone soon- take it easy in B-town, I’ll be shredding again soon enough.



Jami
July 4th, 2010
What an independent day!!! I got my roll down! ‘Course I still got to dot the I’s and cross the T’s, but I did 15 rolls today, so I’m going to just say I got it down!

But wait, there’s more! I had my independent leader day on the 3rd! I was fairly stressed and had prepared for less than ideal debrief, but to my surprise everyone said I did good!!! Chica chica!

So things are going swimmingly (but with a set roll that should change!) and there are so many things I can’t wait to tell you all when I arrive back in Boise (which is currently a mere hour away for tonight before we’re off for the Snake).

Oh, and guess who gets to shower tomorrow for the first time in 13 days!!!!

Lots of love and hugs!



John

(***Disclaimer: Big Foot was not spotted and there was NO lightning, it was a sunny 90 degree day***)

Two weeks ago I found myself in one of the most bizarre situations one can experience.

Well here I was following Patrick down the rapid named Rattlesnake. Little did I know he was taking As I am being tossed me down a not so pleasant line. All of the sudden there is a large curler wave and then chaos as I am tossed into a rather large hold that has yet to be named.

and turned violently in the hole, I realize that I am not alone. Starring at me frozen in the depths of the hole is none other than Bigfoot himself. When I thought being stuck in a hole couldn’t get worse, Big Foot punches me in the face. I mean how RUDE!

Then, when I thought being punched in the face while being worked in a hole couldn’t get worse, a bolt of lightning stuck me.

This was a bad situation and ended up swimming. But in the end I found a really nice serving spoon as I walked down the shore to my kayak.

No comments: