Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Student Blogs 2 continued

Robert

I have never really thought about how much I have grown as a leader and paddler from day one last year to now. I guess I could say that I now wake up on time according to our daily schedule, which is something I had a lot of trouble with last summer. Not only can I now wake up on time but I can also run class IV rapids confidently, another big step from last year. It was hard to see how much I had really changed from last summer but now looking back on last F.L.O.W. expedition, it is now obvious.


Tess
July 4, 2010
This morning we ran the Lower South-Fork of the Payette. I swam twice because I missed my roll. Neither were bad, but the water was cold and after my second swim I got on the raft. When we finished the run, we went to the Gutter to clean up the trash and do some surfing and roll practice. After we ate lunch, the clean up began. We filled three trash bags, and even found a kayak. It had a huge hole it and people had obviously taken whatever they could from it. The drainplug and all of the bolts and screws were missing along with the left thigh brace. Sean and Kristin will bring it to the Alzar World Headquarters to use the plastic to repair other boats or turn the kayak in to a planter. After that I got in my boat and practiced my roll, for the rest of the time we were there. I did more than 15 rolls I am now feeling a lot more confident about getting on the river.

No comments: