Thursday, January 14, 2010

Open Arms, by Cameron

Despite the great rivers I paddled, and magnificent views I've seen, the culture or environment has been the most enjoyable. I would love to come back to paddle Chile again, but the attitude of everyone here is what really draws me to come back. For instance, I'm not afraid to even ask a police officer a question, because unlike some places in South America, you can trust the police. In fact, they get offended by bribes and will fine you, even possibly put you in jail, not from any personal experience, of course.

Last night, we went to a former Alzar student's house for dinner. Her family was very welcoming, and the experience was awesome. I had no previous encounter with having dinner at a non-US house, so it was a big change. Everyone in the family knew English except for the two-year-old, so I was not completely anti-social, but at the same time I was engaging as much as I can. Overall the cooking was great and so was the hospitality of the family. The Chileans are the most hospitable I have met so far.

No comments: