Thursday, January 6, 2011

Being a Leader by Ashley (Mobile, AL)

Yesterday I had my fist experience leading the group. I really enjoyed setting hte pace for the day by planning the itinerary. When you are leader, it is important to make sure the river had something for all levels of paddlers, there is a balanced studytime, and we are never rushed or bored.

The hardest part of the day was leading down the river. It reminded me of getting my drivers license. Until you have to drive, you never really pay attention to how you get somewhere. Even though I had paddled the stretch of river before, it was hard to remember which way the river forked, how often to eddy out, and where the best lines were. The day definitely left me with a greater sense of all the small details that a leader needs to be aware of to make the day run smoothly.

No comments: