Sunday, January 2, 2011

Walking through Los Quenes

Robert (New Orleans, LA)


When we first arrived at Los Quenes I was skeptical as to what the Chileans would think of us (Alzar School). Even thought Sean and Kristen had previously met the people of Los Quenes and are friends, I was still intimidated. As we started to unpack our gear and belongings we were greeted by a group of local dogs. You could tell that they were stray and poorly cared after. Being able to see the ribs of most of the dogs made me really feel sad towards them and I wanted to do something to help them. Once we finished unpacking we walked into the center part of Los Quenes. I felt somewhat awkward being stared at by the locals, but those awkward stares we easily broken with a simple “hola.” This seemed to make everything alright. Things were coming together to make an awesome trip.

New Years was just a little bit different than usual. For starters, our campsite was the border of Chile and Argentina. Instead of fireworks to stare at we had the Andes Mountains and a sky full of stars. Even though we didn’t have my favorite dinner of all time, Agostine’s guitar playing especially made up for it, in my opinion. 2010-2011 New Years Eve will defiantly be one that I will remember.

No comments: